Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

2.03.2014

Turn Any Paint Into Spray Paint!

Hello!

Like many of you, I love painting - whether it's a wall or a piece of furniture, paint really has the power to breathe new life into just about anything.  As a result, I'm always on the lookout for new tools to make the painting process a little easier.  So, when I stumbled upon this product at Sherwin Williams, (for less than $12), I was intrigued.


A portable sprayer?  Where I can turn any paint into spray paint?  Yes, please!

I love the finished look that spraying gives, and while my HVLP spray gun of awesomeness is one of my all-time favorite tools, sometimes I don't feel like dealing with the hassle of lugging out my air compressor, and cleaning up the mess.  I'm thinking for smaller jobs, this little tool could come in handy.

And I just so happen to have a little project to put this baby to the test.  

This table was a garage sale find awhile back.  This is where it started.

I transformed it once, ala the power of paint.

And it found a place in my son's room.

While I still like the table, now that we're changing things up in his room, it doesn't quite fit.  I love Benjamin Moore's Advance paint, and use it for the cabinet makeovers, so I figured it would be a great one to use in my portable paint sprayer.  Plus, I had some on hand, which was a bonus.

The key to using this tool is thinning the paint.  I thought that I had it thinned enough (with water, per the directions) when I attempted to use it the first time, but I was unsuccessful.  I got a teeny little whiff of paint out of the thing, got frustrated and used a brush for the first coat.  (FYI - I did prime this table with regular spray paint, just didn't show it here).  The color is "Gray" by Benjamin Moore.

I decided to give it another whirl with my portable paint sprayer, and thinned it like crazy the second time.  MUCH better.  It still isn't always consistent in terms of delivering a constant flow of paint, but good enough to where I could deal with it for this little piece of furniture.

Much better finish, yes?  This was right after I painted it, so the color looks lighter than the finished look.

Once it dried, I jazzed it up with a fun orange stripe, since that's the accent color I'm using in my son's room.  I had orange spray paint on hand for this, so I didn't put the sprayer to task for that part.

I'm having a hard time getting this gray to read right in the photos - this first one is probably the most accurate reflection of its true color.






Not bad, and kind of nice to use paint that I already had on hand vs. buying gray spray paint in order to give this table a new look.  I have more pieces that need some love, so I think I'll be using it again!

9 comments:

  1. What a great gadget, I love it. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! I had no idea that this product even existed girl! Leave it to you to find it and the finish looks perfect. Ok, I have to get me one (or three!). Thanks for the info and tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to try this. I have a ton of different colors that could be used on multiple projects. What a great idea and cost saver.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh I love how the table came out this time around, Jenny! The off center stripe is so fun, love the punch of color too. I will have to look into this tool, my spray gun does not need a compressor and it's easy to clean up so I use it frequently, but friends ask me all the time about how they should do small jobs. I'll definitely tell them to read this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting!! That would be a great way to use up all of my little 8 oz. paint samples!! Love your table with that fun orange stripe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was it hard to clean? How did you get strip of orange so straight and not any overspray on the rest of the table?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not hard at all to clean! I just flushed it out with water and was done! As for the stripe, I taped it off with frog tape and newspaper so I didn't have an overspray issue.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the tip on the sprayer - anything that makes a paint project quick and easy is great to know about! I love how your table turned out - very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the table. I have an old wooden headboard project I need to tackle. Nice blog! I'm new to it and I will be back.
    Julie
    www.franklysouthern.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please feel free to leave a comment!