Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

2.18.2014

Kid's Closet Organization

Hello!

I hope you had a great weekend and perhaps even got a day off for Presidents Day.  I'm embarrassed to say that we binge-watched every episode of the second season of House of Cards.  If it was an Olympic event, I would be a gold medalist.  But seriously, releasing all of the episodes, at the same time, in the dead of winter, when it's cold and snowy outside?  I had no choice.

Back to more productive items - organizing my daughter's closet.  Click here for a refresh on the progress I've made in her bedroom.  Like many 8 year-old girls, she has a lot of stuff.  Little stuff.  Trinkets and treasures, earrings, rubber band bracelets, arts and crafts - you name it.  Her room is on the small side, so I need to maximize and utilize the space in her closet.


I don't have a true "before" photo of her closet, but imagine this space stuffed with toys and clothes, and you get the picture.  It's deep and has great built-in storage, but the downside is that she's too little to reach the top hanging rack of clothes, so that's kind of wasted space. 

I want this closet to work hard for the money, so I decided to trick it out a bit more to help contain the clutter.  On Friday, I gave you a sneak peek of the peg board that I was adding, so let's take a look at the evolution, shall we?

When I cleaned everything out, it was glaringly obvious that I had to paint the closet before doing anything else.

The walls were just ... nasty.

I painted them Pale Oak, by Benjamin Moore.  It's the same color I used in my master closet.

Much better.

Now for the fun stuff.  I picked up this pegboard at Lowes, and it's the perfect size for her closet.  Normally, I buy pegboard in larger sheets, but I came across this one, and snapped it up (the last one they had as a matter of fact).  Saves me the trouble of having to cut it down to size.

Then, I attached a wood frame to the back.

When my boys got home from school, they bickered and griped helped me install it.

Then I painted it the same color as her walls, to make it a little more fun.

Started adding some of the hooks and accessories - 

Lots of space to hang her goodies, with room to spare.








On the opposite wall, I added bins and baskets to corral more of her stuff.

The bottom bin houses her larger bags and backpacks (apparently, a girl needs to change those out on a regular basis).

She has taken to using this basket for her dirty clothes.  As long as they're contained and not on the floor - I'm good with that.

What are your favorite tips for keeping kids' rooms organized?  You'd think that with three kids, I'd have this down to a science - alas, no.

Check out my Color Spotlight post over at The Creativity Exchange!  I'm going to be a monthly contributor over there, and am kicking things off with the many faces of Revere Pewter.

Linking up:

10 comments:

  1. LOVE the pegboard! i need to make one for emmy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cassie! I can't get enough of them these days! My husband is now asking for one in his closet. :-)

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic space! I love the use of the pegboard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a smart mama!! I want one in my closet! Love the fun color, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great! It's fun seeing pegboard used more and more. So many neat options. I love how you painted it too for a bit of extra colour. Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What smart, creative way to use that space! My girls would love that. Just like yours, they have soooo many little, tiny things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your love for organization my friend. You keep me on track with trying to get my house in shape! I have a pegboard out in the garage that I have yet to install. Now I am thinking how useful it would be in my son's room! Thanks for sharing that great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny, this is amazing. I bet your little girl is loving her closet now. I need to find somewhere to hang a pegboard!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have some great closet storage solutions. I got great ideas I can use for my coat closet. Thanks for sharing. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our expert designers will work with you to design the perfect storage solutions for your space. From basic closet organizers to full built-in entertainment centres custom closets Austin,

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please feel free to leave a comment!