We're getting back into the swing of school around here, and while my 2nd grader greets each school day with enthusiasm, my boys - 7th grade and (gulp) freshman, aren't quite as thrilled in the early hours of the morning. I really can't believe I have a son in high school. It seems like I just sent him off to school as an ambivalent kindergartener. What saddens me is that I know time is going to move at warp speed as we navigate the next four years. I don't remember reading about this in the Motherhood Handbook...
Any words of wisdom from veteran mothers out there? I'm all ears.
Let's move on to some kitchen goodness, shall we? Nearly a year ago, I got an email from Kelly, asking some questions about painting kitchen cabinets, along with some photos of her kitchen. Well, I was thrilled that Kelly thought to circle back with me to share her kitchen transformation, and she was kind enough to let me share them with you. I know you'll love it as much as I do.
Let's start with the before - definitely great bones in this kitchen! Already spacious, warm and welcoming, right?
Oh, but look at it now! So bright, fresh and beautiful! I have to give Kelly some serious snaps on her before and after shots - they couldn't be more perfect. I told her that I felt like I was playing one of those "compare the photos" games - trying to figure out the differences between the two. And no, she doesn't have a blog. She should, right?
They ended up hiring out the painting/carpentry work. I can't say that I blame them - this is a HUGE kitchen and suffice to say, her hubby was a bit ambivalent about Kelly tackling the painting on her own with "zero experience". She went on to say,
"I ended up doing a bigger remodel than I originally planned so my husband and I did the backsplash, lighting and plumbing work ourselves. I think it turned out well and I am so glad to be rid of the orangey oak! "
Kelly discovered that there is a big market for nice kitchen items that are in good condition, and was able to sell all of their old appliances, sinks and faucets on craigslist. On top of that, they had their old kitchen granite recut and installed in their kids' bathrooms, which didn't have granite originally. So resourceful - I love it!
Are you catching all of the subtle changes that were made in this kitchen? Hardware, appliances, wine fridge... Yes, please.
- New appliances (Dacor double ovens, microwave and 36" rangetop. Miele dishwasher). I have been so happy with these appliances. And I am glad I stacked the microwave over the ovens. I was nervous about that, but it has been great for us.
- New sinks (Blanco granite composite sinks in café brown). Best sinks ever. I love the look of a farmhouse sink, but just couldn't afford it. Now I am so happy I went with the composite sinks as opposed to the Kohler enameled cast iron sinks because my sinks do not scratch or stain at all. And they are so much cheaper.
- New faucets (Danze in oil rubbed bronze).
- New granite (Typhoon Bordeaux)
- Painted and glazed kitchen cabinets (SW Shoji White on perimeter and SW Anonymous on island).
- New cabinet hardware (Top Knobs). I especially love the refrigerator/freezer pulls.
- Moved wine fridge from the island to the desk area. And replaced space in island with drawers.
- Reconfigured desk into a "wine bar" area, with new cabinet doors.
- Added pot drawers under the rangetop.
- New backsplash (tumbled travertine)
- New lighting: chandelier over the island and three pendant lights around the outside countertops
- Changed outlets from brown to cream.
Do you have a space you would like to have featured? Please give me a shout - I would love to see it and share it!